Friday, December 24, 2010

Tradition

Every Christmas I realize more and more the crazy traditions that we have continued throughout the years.  Some of them, I don't think were meant to turn into traditions.  For example, the fact that we go stocking stuffer shopping as a family, in one store, on Christmas Eve... was probably the result of a chaotic rush to get everything done when me and Kyle were kids (mom is that true?) .  And now, It is one of my favorite parts of Christmas week.  My other favorite started when Kyle and I went to KCA and were in the Christmas plays.  We would always go to Wendy's for a frosty and then drive through the pretty Christmas light display in K-town.  It was always so magical.  I don't remember a year that we haven't missed.  Tonight was gorgeous, because it is still snowing...the perfect kind of snow that makes you think you are living in a snow globe.  I was reminded of the peace of Christmas and the peace of Jesus today when Kaitlyn and I opened the door to check out the snowfall.  It was so still, and quiet and beautiful.  It was like peace was falling around us. *sigh* so perfect.
Back to traditions....we also always attend Christmas Eve service at my church.. candles, singing, and Jesus.  Can't get any better.  It's the perfect way to get into the real spirit of Christmas.  One thing my father has done since we were young (and we always thought it was super cool) was a toast with egg nog before we go to bed on Christmas Eve.  When we wake up on Christmas it's a long time to wait... Dad drags it out as much as possible.  There's the breakfast, setting the camera up (because someone somewhere just NEEDS to watch the video of our entire morning ... for the last 20 years...), the reading of the Bible story, the choosing of a "Santa" to hand out gifts, and the one by one opening....and the break halfway through.... you get the idea.
We open stockings on Christmas Night. .... so we have one last thing to enjoy and savor... it's the perfect end...
Talking about it makes me soooo excited for tomorrow!!!
But I am so glad that tonight brought me back to remembering what Christmas is really about.
Josh is always saying how much he hates what our society has turned Christmas into, and I agree.  It has become tainted.  It turned into "gimmie" rather than GIVE. Grouchy rather than joyful.
I encourage you this Christmas to think about the sacrifice Jesus made by coming into this earth as a baby so that He could die for us.  That is a powerful message.
Merry Christmas!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment